Household fires are one of the most common accidents occurring in the home. There are many steps that you can take to prevent fire from occurring and also to keep your family safe if a fire does occur. In the event of a fire you could have as little as 2 minutes to escape. Take the proper precautions and put these tips to use in your home.
This article is brought to you by Fire Damage restoration in Atlanta.
Smoke alarms should be located at a minimum in every bedroom and on each level of your home, including the basement. Smoke alarms should be tested once a month to ensure that they are still working. Batteries should be replaced once a year. A good reminder is to check the smoke detectors on the first of each month and to change the batteries on the first of the year.
Cooking is the leading cause of fires in the home. Fires frequently occur when you begin cooking and then leave the pan unattended on the stovetop. The simplest way to prevent a cooking related fire is to simply stay with your stove. Do not leave a stovetop unattended at any time. In the event that you must leave the room turn off the burner.
Many fires occur in the winter due to household heating systems. Each year have your furnace cleaned and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in working order. Space heaters are a great cause for concern. Many fires occur due to curtains, blankets, or furniture being left too close to a space heater. A great rule of thumb is to keep all items at least 3 feet away from a space heater. You can learn more about fire damage by going here: https://moldremovalatlanta.wordpress.com/
Check all outlets to make sure they are not being overloaded. There should be one plug per outlet, not several plugged into extension cords. Also check electrical cords for fraying and repair or replace as needed. Be extra diligent when looking at electrical cords that may be located in attics or basements as they are more likely to experience pests.
If there is a smoker in the house guidelines should be set up for smoking safety. Smoking should never be allowed indoors as there are too many potential fire hazards and burning cigarettes are often forgotten and start fires. After smoking outside, the smoker should douse the cigarette in water to ensure that it is put out completely.
Parents and caregivers should talk to children frequently about fire safety. Lighters and matches should be kept out of reach of children of all ages. Special locks should be placed on stove knobs to prevent children from turning on the stove. Discuss fire safety and emergency exit plans with children frequently.
Always ensure proper storage of flammable liquids. Do not keep flammable liquids near any type of ignition source. Do not store flammable liquids in a garage area if there is a pilot light appliance, such as a water heater. All flammable liquids should be stored in proper approved containers.…